Monday, March 5, 2007

Postcard Plan


So for my postcards I have decided I'm going to be doing a series of three postcards, each of which will be connected to a verse from Edgar Allen Poe's poem Dream-Land. I decided on Dream-Land because it is a poem about a dream-like landscape that reminded me a lot of a creepy version of Historic St Mary's City. With this in mind, I decided that I was going to create a series of postcards that take the form of a dream-like journey between the St Mary's landscape at the time of Caecilius Calvert and Anne Arundel and the St Mary's Landscape today. In order to do this I'm going to take pictures of the current St Mary's landscape and overlap them and change them to come up with a different landscape that is reminiscent of the one we are familiar with but that at the same time is completely different and almost unfathomable in it placing in time and context. Into these landscapes I will incorporate and scan images from both the past and the present, interacting in surreal like ways.

Here are the sketches of my initial plans, unfortunatly my roommate's scanner does not really like pencil, but the basic idea is still there.

1 comment:

Fereshteh said...

Elizabeth, I wonder if you can find some images of the old SMC at the visitor's center. I wonder if a lot has really changed, and how you will make the transition. Will we see the ghost of Calvert perhaps?